This is a raw vegan recipe, but don’t let that turn you off. It is super rich, creamy, mouth puckering, satisfying, and nutrient dense. Just a small slice will have you feeling full and satisfied. Eat it before a meal, after your meal, or as the main course to your meal! In these photos I originally made the cake with a cashew chocolate crust, but that’s because it’s what I had in the kitchen at the time. I would recommend a different nut like pecans or brazil nuts for the crust, for a superior texture and taste.
There are three layers to this cake: The creamy lime layer, the crust, and the vanilla coconut cream top layer.
Begin with the crust. You can use any raw vegan crust recipe you would like, or follow this recipe:
Pecans or Brazil Nuts
Cinnamon or Cacao powder (natural cocoa powder sans additives)
Pinch of salt
1) Pulse all incredients in the food processor until the nuts are fine, but before they become nut butter!
2) Spread the crust mixture into your cake or tarte pan, pressing firmly to pack it down.
3) Place the crust in the freezer to set.
Now begin making the creamy limey layer.
2 ripe avocados
1 cup of cashews, soaked in purified water for 2-4 hours, drained
1/2 cup high quality, organic virgin coconut oil
Dates, soaked in water, to taste. About 10.
Natural Stevia drops, to taste.
Juice of fresh limes, about 2-3 of them
Fresh lime zest.
1/2 tsp organic vanilla
1) Blend all ingredients except for lime zest in high power blender until fully smooth and creamy. Make any adjustments to the flavor as needed (more lime? more dates? vanilla?)
2) Add the lime zest and give it a whirl, but do not overblend (so you can still see a few flecks in the mixture)
3) Now take the crust out of the freezer and fill the pan with the lime flavored mixture. Place back in freezer to set.
The third layer is just a layer of the coconut whip that I have another post on here:
Dairy Free Coconut Whip
Once the cake has hardened, if it was in a cake pan, remove and plate it. Otherwise, leave it where it is.
Now spread the coconut whip over the top, working it around with a spatula for a nice smooth layer on top.
Finally, slice some limes, use fresh mint, fresh lime zest, and anything else you’d like to decorate the top!
This decadent cake will last in the freezer until you are ready to serve. Just take it out to thaw at least a few hours ahead of time (but do not let it sit in the sun, or it will melt)!