FROM THE SERIES FOR 3 DECADENT DESERTS A LA AVOCADO, as demonstrated on News Channel 8, CT STYLE
1) Ripe Avocados
2) Hand full of water soaked mejdool dates, and the sweet water they soaked in
3) Raw Cacao Powder ( or Unsweetened Cocoa or Carob Powder)
(Or if opting to create the lime-y version: omit the cacao powder, reduce the water content slightly, and make with fresh lime juice & zest!)
4) High quality vanilla extract or powder
NATURAL SUGAR AMOUNTS & SWEETNESS: To reduce the amount of natural sugar, reduce the amount of dates and add a bit of Natural Stevia (not truvia) to taste. I like to do a mix of dates AND stevia. Sometimes I mix it up with a different natural, “low-glycemic” & nutrient rich sweetener like REAL maple syrup, raw honey, or coconut sugar.
FLAVOR: Generally 1 tbs cacao powder to 1 avocado, and about 4 dates + a few drops of stevia is lighter chocolate. 2 tbs cacao powder to 1 avocado, and 3 dates + a few drops of stevia is intense deep dark chocolate taste.
Blender, Knife (to cut open avocadoes!), Measuring spoons
1) Place all ingredients in the blender. Use just enough of the water that you soaked the dates in so the ingredients will turn in the blender, but not too much (about ½ cup water for 1 avocado/4 dates). Keep the mixture as thick as possible. You may try stopping the blender and mixing things around to help it reach the blade a few times if necessary. Do NOT overwork your blender motor.
Equipment: Trifle (Pretty Glass) Bowl
Extra ingredients: Fresh or frozen assorted berries of choice, organic virgin coconut oil.
*Option to layer in easy Coconut Whip ~ see my blog for that easy recipe!
- Fill the bottom of the bowl with the avocado “mousse” mixture, ¼ or so of the way. Option to place in refrigerator so it can thicken before adding the next layer.
- Create the next layer of berries +/ or coconut whip.
- Alternate layers until the bowl is full.
- Top with abundant berries. So beautiful!
- Cover and refrigerate to chill and thicken at least a few hours or the night before serving.
- Serve and enjoy!